coupon binder, Laura Williams Musings: My Coupon Binder – The Categories & The Sub-Categories

Dedicated to saving money in all aspects of life.


Thursday, January 23, 2014

My Coupon Binder – The Categories & The Sub-Categories




Also see: Laura's Couponing and Refunding Hints & Tips plus Coupon Binder How-To


I had someone send me an email with this request and comment so I thought others might want to see this information as well if they are wanting to set up sub-categories or sub-labeled pockets within a section:
“I love your post to your blog about how to set up a coupon binder. I am new to couponing and am setting up my binder now. I have a request from you - I love the way you organize your "sub categories" - example: under dairy - eggs, sour cream, etc. Is there any way you could send me a list of the sub categories within each category? I have a label maker and plan to set it up like yours. I think that is so organized and will be easy to find what I need. I hope you possibly already have this list and it's not a lot of work for you. Photos of each page would be fine too if that's easier for you.
Thanks, in advance!
Ellen"
Ellen,


Here is one photo of a page in my binder that shows sub-categories:



My sections with the sub-categories are as follows:
  • Store pages – these are 4 pocket pages I made using page protectors. I slipped in a piece of thin cardboard and then using a sewing machine I sewed down the middle and across the middle. Then used a craft knife to open the bottom pockets just under the sewn middle line on the front and back of the page. So there are 4 pockets on each side. I use the type pages to put my rainchecks in and coupons I know I am going to use at that store.
    • Store pages consist of the stores I have in my area such as:
    • Bi-Lo
    • CVS
    • Food Lion
    • Publix
    • Target
    • Kroger
    • etc. (these are alphabetized in my binder)
Here’s a photo of what I’m describing for the individual store pages with labeled pockets:


  • Store cards – this page or two holds the extra store cards I have as most of them are either on my key ring or in dh’s wallet. I do not have 2 card accounts for any store. That is actually against many store policies and I have no need for an extra store card account as one card account gets the deals just fine. What I am talking about though is the extra card you may have from that one account. A store usually will give you two key tags and a wallet card. These pages hold the extra key tag or wallet card that dh doesn’t want to carry with him. I will hand them those when I give him a list and a set of coupons if he’s going to be near that particular store so he has no need to carry all the store cards with him.
  • .
  • Rebates & Refund Forms – this is a 2 page category and just holds the forms for rebates and refunds on items. Easier to carry them with me to see the requirements than to guess at what they are
  • .
  • Baby – this was a 2 page category
    • sub-categories (in this case) labeled pockets are for:
    • Misc. Diapers
    • Misc. Wipes
    • Huggies Wipes
    • Huggies Diapers
    • Huggies GoodNights
    • Huggies Pull Ups
    • Pampers Easy Ups
    • Pamper Wipes
    • Pamper Diapers
    • another page was used for baby food, formula, etc. but I no longer use those so I removed the page and pass those coupons on to my daughter
    • .
  • Baking – this is a 2 page category
    • sub-categories (in this case) labeled pockets are for:
    • Vinegar
    • Baking Chips
    • Oils & Sprays
    • sugar
    • Spices
    • baking mixes
    • cookie mixes
    • cake mixes and icing
    • and there are empty pockets that I will put in coupons on yeast, cornstarch, etc. when I have them.
    • .
  • Beverages – this is a 2 page category
    • sub-categories (in this case) labeled pockets are for:
    • tea
    • juices
    • hot cocoa
    • water
    • coffee
    • soft drinks
    • empty pockets are used to put coupons in for things like koolaid, coffee creamers, etc.
    • .
  • Canned – this is a 4 page category – Condiments are now in with this category
    • sub-categories (in this case) labeled pockets are for:
      • pasta sauces
      • salsa
      • salad dressing
      • ketchup
      • mayo
      • mustard
      • peanut butter
      • jams & jellies
      • soups
      • marinades & hot sauces
      • canned meats (tuna, etc.)
      • canned vegetables
      • canned fruits
      • pickles and relishes
      • some of the above have two pockets to keep from ripping one pocket with too many coupons
        • there are empty pockets for misc. items like manwich, evaporated milk (although this could go into the baking section too)
        • .
  • Cereals & Breakfast Items (cereals sorted by brand) – this is a 2 page category
    • sub-categories (in this case) labeled pockets are for:
      • cereal bars
      • oatmeal
      • syrups
      • breakfast drinks
      • breakfast mixes
      • misc. brand cereals
      • kellogg’s brand cereals
      • General Mills cereals
      • Post Cereals
        • the cereal ones have 2 and some 3 pockets for those as there are usually a lot of those coupons
        • .
  • Cleaning Supplies – this is a 4 page category
    • sub-categories (in this case) labeled pockets are for:
      • dusting stuff
      • window cleaners
      • floor cleaners
      • toilet cleaners
      • shower cleaners
      • all purpose cleaners
      • dish soap
      • scrubbers
      • you could even make a pocket for dishwasher detergent and one for dishwasher rinse aids if you have a dishwasher
      • lysol spray as I usually have a few of those to make a separate pocket
      • fabric sprays
      • Airwick brand air fresheners and candles
      • Febreze brande air fresheners and candles
      • Glade Brand air fresheners and candles
        • some of the above have 2 and 3 pockets to accomodate the amount of coupons
        • .
  • Dairy & Refrigerated – this is a 3 page category
    • sub-categories (in this case) labeled pockets are for:
      • 1 page is refrigerated drinks for items such as orange juice, teas, speciality milks like nesquik, hershey’s milkshakes, liquid coffee creamer, etc.
      • 1 page is actually a page protector I sewed down the middle and across and then cut the two bottom pockets open on the front for bigger coupons I sometimes get for organic valley, etc.
      • One of the pockets on the above page is for yogurt as I normally get quite a few coupons for yogurt
      • I also use one of the pockets to put refrigerated snacks in like the jello and pudding snacks
      • another page has sub-labeled pockets for:
        • cottage cheese
        • butter
        • sour cream
        • cheese
        • eggs
        • milk
      • of course there’s empty pockets to allow for other coupons
      • .
  • Frozen Foods (with subsections) – 3 pages
    • sub-categories are:
      • one page is for frozen breakfast items & breads
      • one page is for frozen meals and appetizers
      • one page is for frozen desserts, ice cream, etc.
      • .
  • Health & Beauty (with sub-sections)
    • This section has subsections and some of the sub-sections have labeled pockets (not all)
    • Feminine Care – I just try to keep like brand items in a pocket – all tampax tampons in one, all playtex tampons in another, kotex pads in another, kotex pantiliners in another, etc.
    • .
    • Deodorants – again with the like brand items in one pocket
    • .
    • Facial Care – again with the like brand items in one pocket
    • .
    • Hair Care – this one has sub-labeled pockets of:
      • shampoo
      • conditioner
      • anti-dandruff care
      • all in one (Shampoo & Conditioner together)
      • Stylers
      • you could also have a pocket or two for hair coloring items if you use those
      • for coupons that are good on any shampoo, conditoner, or styler, I just put those in a separate pocket
      • .
    • Lotions – again with the like brand items in one pocket
    • .
    • Makeup – again with the like brand items in one pocket – all Covergirl in one, All Maybelline in another, etc.
    • .
    • Oral Care – sub-labeled pockets for:
      • toothpaste
      • toothbrushes
      • mouthwash
      • dental floss
      • whiteners, etc.
      • some labels have two pockets for them
      • .
    • Razors, etc. – pockets for that brand razor, pockets for shave gels or lotions, etc.
    • .
    • Soap & Body Washes – again with the like brand items in one pocket
    • .
    • First aid
      • pocket for bandages
      • pocket for bandaids
      • pocket for metamucil, gas-x,fiber one, etc.
      • Prevacid – Zantac – Prilosec itmes
      • first aid washes
      • eye drops
      • and empty pockets for overflow or misc. coupons
      • .
    • Cold Meds
      • like brand items are together such as Tylenol, Advil, etc. in separate pockets
      • there is also a pocket for cough drops
      • pocket for blistex, chapstick, etc.
      • pocket for Sinex or other nasal spray
      • and unlabeled pockets for overflow or misc. coupons
      • .
    • Pain Relievers – separated by brands
    • .
    • Supplements & Vitamins – 2 pages for this one and are separated by brands
    • .
  • Laundry Care
    • sub-labeled pockets for:
      • laundry detergent
      • dryer sheets
      • liquid softener
      • laundry boosters
      • stain removers
      • and there are empty pockets I use for overflows
      • .
  • Meats & Deli
    • I really don’t have sub-labeled pockets for this but rather just keep like items together – you could label them this way though:
      • lunch meats
      • bacon
      • sausage
      • hot dogs
      • and other pockets could accomodate items that you find in the meat cases like the Hormel ready to heat and eat meals, etc. '
      • .
  • Miscellaneous (this is for clothing, toys, non-grocery store like Jo-Ann’s, Michael’s , etc.) – usually take 3 pages for this one so I can keep it separated to see what I have
  • .
  • Paper & Plastic (with sub-labeled pockets) – 2 page category
    • facial tissue
    • napkins
    • cups
    • plates
    • plastic cutlery
    • bathroom wipes
    • toilet paper
    • paper towels
    • trash bags
    • plastic bags
    • plastic storage containers
    • plastic wrap
    • aluminum foil
    • wax paper or freezer paper (sometimes have to use two pockets for this one)
    • .
  • Pasta & Rice
    • pasta uses 2 and sometimes 3 pockets
    • rice uses 2 and sometimes 3 pockets
    • I also keep the coupons for taco shells, tortillas, and such in this area too.
    • .
  • Pets – Since we only have a couple of cats now, I keep only one page and have sub-labeled pockets for:
    • cat treats
    • dry cat food
    • wet cat food
    • and our cats are outside cats but I do sometimes have coupons for cat litter I keep for use on our icy steps in the winter… most times though I give these to a friend.
    • .
  • Produce – just separated so I can see what I have – I do keep salad toppings here too like the Seasoned almonds, croutons, etc. and bagged salad coupons get kept in one pocket, etc.
    • I sometimes will put bread coupons in this section as it’s easier for me to just turn to that section when I enter the store as you are met with the produce there and some stores the bread is one aisle over – I don’t get many bread coupons though and used to put them in the Cereals & Breakfast section.
    • .
  • Snacks & Candy – 2 page category with sub-labels for:
    • cookies
    • crackers
    • candy
    • nuts
    • chips
    • popcorn
    • .
  • Restaurants -- easier for me to flip to the back of the binder is the only reason it's not in ABC order and I just keep the restaurant coupons separated in pockets so I can see what I have.
I hope that helps you Ellen in setting up your binder.



For others interested in setting up a Coupon Binder, here is the link to my how-to article: Laura's Couponing and Refunding Hints & Tips Plus Coupon Binder How-To



If you’re looking for a bigger binder or just a new one, check out my I got a new Binder for my Coupons! post to see the binder that replaced my old, worn out Mead binder I used for years. You can see how much smaller the old binder was here on this post: Comment from a Reader: Coupon Binder and BONUS: Woman's Day Article Featuring Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will be deleted immediately. Comments containing cursing, rudeness to myself or other commentators, and/or crude comments will be deleted.